Saturday, November 30, 2013
Here at The Stone House our rooms are named after paintings by Johannas Vermeer. We have the Girl With A Pearl Earring room , the Geographer room , the Art of Painting room , the Lacemaker room , and the Mistress and Maid room . Our local town, Hurley, NY, was originally called Nieuw Dorp, back in the time of the New Netherlands. It was founded in 1662, just around the time that Vermeer painted the Girl With A Pearl Earring (1665).
Currently there is a great exhibition: Vermeer, Rembrandt, and Hals: Masterpieces of Dutch Painting from the Mauritshuis , from October 22, 2013 to January 19, 2014 at The Frick Collection in New York City. If you're coming to New York to see the exhibition why not come up and stay with us in a genuine 18th Century Hudson Valley Dutch Stone House in one of the original villages of the New Netherlands?
Posted by Sam and Nadia Scoggins at 1:15 PM